News & Opportunities
Museum Shop and Retail: a practical refresher for Smaller Museums in BOB
Thursday 12th October 2017 to Thursday 2nd November 2017
This training event is intended for anyone who works for or volunteers in a Museum shop. It will focus on the needs of smaller museums in the BOB area - but larger museums, and museums from across the South East, are welcome to come along as well because the principles that will be introduced and discussed are generic.
Museums that took part in the BOB Effective Retail for Small Museums Project last year are invited to send new volunteers and staff, or to book on as a refresher.
This free practical workshop is organised by the South East Museums Development Partnership and will be led by experienced museum retailer and consultant, Alison Guilfoyle. It will include:
- Understanding the paperwork behind a shop (how to work out if a line is profitable; how to calculate profit margins and mark-up; how to measure and use KPIs to improve retail performance)
- Upselling (customer service and upselling)
- Suppliers (negotiating with suppliers)
- Visual Merchandising (grouping and composition, props and themes, and housekeeping)
- Effective Retail Resources
There will also be an opportunity to hear from Matt Stevens at Abingdon County Hall Museum about their experiences with upselling.
If you already confident in the retail skills - it may be more appropriate to join the Retail Resilience network for the South East, supported by the Association of Cultural Enterprises. Details of their meetings are here.