Materials from Customer Service for All - Disability Equality and the Visitor Journey
An event on the 24th February 2017 hosted by Kent and Medway MDO to provide the following learning to museums:
(Training provided by Visits Unlimited)
- Build confidence, improve communication skills and raise awareness of the impact of disability for all Trustees, staff and volunteers to offer a fully inclusive welcome to all.
- Recognise and empathise with the physical, sensory, psychological and intellectual barriers that exclude and limit the choices and experiences of disabled customers around their specific access requirements.
- Develop awareness of our own stereotyping and how we can take steps to avoid this.
- Raise awareness of the roles of Trustees, staff and volunteers in ensuring they are making reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010.
- Raise awareness of the visitor journey of disabled customers and their families and how your museum can meet expectations.
- Support Trustees, staff and volunteers to achieve practical solutions in everyday challenges to ensure a high quality visitor experience for all disabled people.
- Demonstrate commitment to provide equal access for disabled customers and their families.
To view resources provided at the training see below. This includes:
- What the Law says
- Family Friendy Standards for your museum
- Awareness quiz questions and answers
- Activity sheet for museums